Fourth Of July Veteran's Picnic

Information Provided by Ted Leahey of the Preservation Society.

The Preservation Society's Fourth of July Veteran's Picnic will be held on the 4th at the Community Room from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Veterans eat free and all other guests are welcome to attend for $5.00. The military display is set up in the community room for this event and there is a representation of each war on display.

We have a brief history of the U.S. Flag below as well as a few stories and pictures of community members that have served in our armed forces.

History of the Flag

The First flag was adopted on December 3, 1775. It was the only flag in U.S. history to have no stars. (It had 13 stripes and a field of crossed bars where the stars are now.)

The flag once had 15 stripes. (The star-spangled banner that flew over Fort McHenry and inspired the national anthem was a 15-stripe flag). In 1818, Congress adopted a plan that the number of stars should reflect the number of states and that the number of stripes should go back to 13 to honor the original colonies.

The flag's design has been changed 26 times. The stars have been arranged in patterns including rows, circles and even stars!

The 50-star, 13-stripe flag has been in use since July 4, 1960, making it the longest version in use.

The current version of the flag was designed as a school project by 17-year-old Robert G. Heft. He got a B- for his design. His teacher changed his grade when Congress decided to use his flag.

Six U.S. flags have been raised on the moon.

There are some places where the flag must be flown continuously. They include: Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlingotn (also known as the Iwo Jima Memorial), and The White House.

Francis Bromagen

February 16, 1948 - February 9, 2011

Class of 1966, UCCHS

Married Cindi Aukerman, July 14, 1968, left for Vietnam two weeks later. Served one year with H Troop, 198th Light Infantry Brigade, Americal Division.

Captured Viet Cong Flag

H Troopers captured this Viet Cong flag from an underground factory/hospital on Batangan Peninsula, where they spent 90 days without washing. Helicopters dropped drinking water in big rubber bladders. Troopers could drink, shave or wash, but not all three. They all smelled alike.

Bromagen trained stateside with Dale Frazier "Charlie" Brown and Jerry Ewing, and served on the same track with them for nine months before Charlie and Jerry got transferred to another track. Two days later, on May 17, 1969, that track took a direct hit from a mortar round, killing them instantly.

Shrapnel from that mortar round hit Bromagen between the eyes and on the arm. The day was May 17, 1969. He was not medevacked, and he was assigned to clean up their damaged track. He did not tell his wife about Charlie and Jerry until the day he got home.

Eleven years later, the Bromagens traveled to Tennessee to meet Charlie Brown's family. His mother said, "We always wondered how come we never heard from Dale's friends. What took you so long to get here?" Bromagen answered, "Ma'am, I couldn't have come one day sooner."

Rated 40 percent disabled by the VA, Bromagen was buried on his 63rd birthday. He often said, "No matter what happens, I've had a lot more time than my buddies."

Charlie was the "old man" of the outfit; he was 25. Jerry was 21. Their names are part of the 58,132 on the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C.

The medals, which are not in order on the uniform, include: the Combat Infantryman's Badge, the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.

Specialist Josh Martin Wolosonovich

Upon enlisting in the Army on July 21, 2004, Josh was sent to Fort Sill, Oklahoma as part of A Battery, 1st Battalion 40th FA for basic training and Advanced Individual Training.

After Josh graduated and was declared a Forward Observer, he was assigned to 1st Squadron, 10th U.S. Cavalry at Ft. Hood, Texas with the Buffalo Soldiers. There he attended multiple training exercises including the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California where he was awarded the Army Achievement Medal for filling as a Team Chief as a Private First Class.

Josh was deployed to Al Hillah, Iraq on November 21, 2005. After six months on his Squadron Commander's Personal Security Detachment, in May of 2006, the squadron moved into the southern tip of Baghdad into an area along the Shiite and Suni division line called the Triangle of Death.

Josh's platoon was attached to C Troop to life out of a patrol base away from the FOB (Forward Operating Base), where they sat on OP's (Observation Post), to prevent the emplacement of IED's (Improvised Explosive Devices). He participated in numerous patrols both mounted and dismounted from their Humvees. In addition to being a .50 caliber gunner, he was a machine gunner on C Troop's sniper team.  His Humvee was struck by IED's on June 14, 30 and September 1 and 19. The unit lost 10 guys from June 1 - October 30, 2006.

Josh redeployed to Ft. Hood on November 16, 2007 and was released from active duty on February 15, 2007. He subsequently enlisted in the National Guard in Arizona as part of the 153rd Battalion for a 3 year enlistment.

The Murphy Story

There were five brothers and sisters all of whom served in World War II. The first to enter the military was Richard who enlisted in the United States Naval Reserve and reported for duty on September 18, 1941. Ultimately Dick served as a ship commander in the Pacific. The sisters Regina, Josephine and Sarah were registered nurses and reported January 4, 1942 for active duty in the Nurses Corps. Having received training at St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, they signed up asthe General Hospital Unit 32, which was under the sponsorship of Indiana University. The all-Indiana unit consisted of 70 doctors, 120 nurses, and 500 support personnel for a 1,000 bed medical detachment.

As second lieutenants, the sisters shipped out from New York harbor only to find the ship was sabotaged and they limped to a Canadian harbor where they boarded another ship for England. Ultimately, the sisters made the beach landing at Normandy and were pinned down for three days. They followed the troops through to the Battle of the Bulge to the end of the war.

Sarah was promoted to Captain being awarded five battle stars, and all three sisters received purple hearts for their injuries in the line of duty.

The sisters were with Patton on the Rhine waiting for the Russians, and all three were injured in Cologne. They accompanied Patton as he crossed France and following the Battle of the Bulge. Patton selected the three sisters for their courage and bravery in battle to accompany him in his motor car as he moved with the troops.

The three sisters were also hand picked by Patton to accompany General Wainwright's troops who were the survivors of the Bataan Death March when they came back to Brooks General Hospital in the United States.

The three sisters, their brother Dick, a Naval officer and their baby brother Jack, a Marine who were stationed in the South Pacific all returned home from their war experiences.

Their stories like so many others are colored with bravery and courage in the history of World War II.

U.S. Marine Uniform Worn By Denver Poling

Boot And Dog Tag Worn By Joe Wood During The Vietnam WarCollection From World War IU.S. Navy UniformU.S. Army UniformUniform Worn During The Korean ConflictDesert Combat Uniform Worn In Afghanistan By Major Raymond Delucio