There will be a dedication of the Jeremiah Smith Statue at the Union City Carnegie Library Lawn on June 17th at 1:00 P.M. This will be an exciting event to pay tribute to the founder of Union City and will include a Patriotic Medley by the North Side Ambassadors, a Presentation of Colors by the American Legion Post 158 and the V.F.W Post 7084, the Star Spangled Banner by Loretta Hindsley and Shanna Lank, and Remarks on Occasion by J.P. Hall. There will also be a reception following immediately in the Community Room at 103. N. Columbia St.
Special Thanks go out to all of the many donors, Roberta Bennett's vision, the Preservation Society of Union City, IN-OH, Virginia Hiatt, librarian, and the UCCHS Football Team.
Judge Jeremiah Smith, a prominent man in the early history of Indiana, was born in South Carolina in the year 1805. He came with his father, William Smith, to Randolph County, Indiana, in 1817. He was truly a self-educated man, having but very limited school facilities during his early life, but by diligent study at home he was enabled to teach school, and taught one term at Richmond, Indiana. He acquired a knowledge of surveying, and from 1820 until 1822 he was engaged on the survey of Kankakee County.
He studied law in Winchester with Zachariah Pratt, and was admitted to practice there in 1837. Charles Conway was for twenty-one years clerk and recorder of Randolph County and with him Mr. Smith was for many years associated as deputy and in other capacities. He held nearly every office in the gift of Randolph County and the judicial district including the offices of sheriff and deputy sheriff, prosecuting attorney, surveyor, deputy clerk, and judge of the Circuit Court. His principal attention, however, was given to his profession, which he practiced for thirty years, gaining the reputation of being one of the best judges of English law in the courts of Indiana.
In 1839 he erected the Franklin House at Winchester. In connection with Hon. O. H. Smith he located the town of Union City, which made such progress after the completion of the Bee Line in 1853. Judge Smith, however, maintained his residence at Winchester, making that place his home until his death. He was the author of several manuscript volumes, among which may be mentioned, "Reminiscences of Randolph County," and "Civil History of Randolph County."
He was a successful business man, and by prudence and foresight he was a man of strict integrity, honorable in all his dealings, and won the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.
Source: Biographical and Historical Record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887